top of page

Rangers suffer defeat away at Woodkirk

9th March 2020

Rangers beaten in local derby 5-3.

In what were blustery conditions, the First Team were on the wrong side of an eight goal thriller on Saturday afternoon away at local rivals Woodkirk Valley.

The game started off well with both sides exchanging blows, Adam Ibnouzaki and Ben Smith coming the closest to breaking the deadlock for the visitors. However, it was the home side who took the lead through a well worked effort. A ball down Rangers left hand side was collected by the Woodkirk wide man who calmly passed the ball across goal to the waiting striker who dispatched his effort past Tom Booth, to make it 1-0.

Rangers responded well and had further efforts from Joe Woodhouse, Rob Smith and Josh Hirst. In what was a cruel end to the first half though, Woodkirk doubled their lead on the stroke of half time. 2-0.

Despite the scoreline, spirits were high in the Rangers camp during the break and their efforts paid dividends shortly after half time when Craig Thomas pulled one back in emphatic style, finding the top corner from inside the box. 

At this point the game was flowing from end to end and unfortunately it was the hosts that landed the next punch with a deflected effort from the left hand side of the box into the far right hand corner past the stranded 'keeper.

Unphased however, Rangers pulled one back fairly quickly after a well worked passage of play. Christian Thewlis was released by Rob Smith down the right hand side, who managed to deliver into the box. A quickly cut back ball found Gareth Smith who made no mistake in firing in from close range to bring the score to back within one.

Woodkirk again came forward and won a controversial corner to proved to be costly. After initially defending the corner, the ball spun high into the air with the Woodkirk attacker beating Tom Booth to it, heading in to make it 4-2.

Controversy again surrounded Woodkirk's fifth of the game. With Rob Smith in possession of the ball on the half way line, a high challenge was allowed to go unpunished, leaving the Rangers front man injured on the floor. The Woodkirk player continued to carry the ball forward before unleashing a long range effort which looped up over the top of Tom Booth in the Rangers net. 

With less than a minute on the clock, Rangers were awarded a penalty when Darren Dewick was alledged to be fouled on the dead ball line. Joe Woodhouse stepped up to slam the ball past the Woodkirk keeper and reduce the deficit to two goals. Unfortunately, there was no time for any further action as referee Holland called time.

A disappointing result after what was a good performance that certainly deserved more.

FT: Woodkirk Valley 5-3 Rangers

Goals: Thomas (50), G.Smith (70), Woodhouse (P)(90+2)

Rangers Starting Line Up: Booth, Dewick, Audsley, Thomas, Thewlis (c), Woodhouse, Hirst, Gomersall, R.Smith, B.Smith, Ibnouzaki

Subs: G.Smith 

bottom of page